[wp-hackers] Switching from SVN

scribu mail at scribu.net
Fri Dec 10 13:46:28 UTC 2010

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 3:23 PM, Mike Schinkel
<mikeschinkel at newclarity.net>wrote:

> And so for the scenario I described Git doesn't allow me to make "patches"
> to the released code (vs. a branch) any more than SVN, right?

Both do and it's easy. With svn:

Presuming you already have the latest stable version of WP checked out in
the stable folder:

svn co http://core.svn.wordpress.org/tags/3.0.3 stable

0. Make modifications
1. Go to stable dir: cd stable
2. Make patch: svn diff > patch.diff

Thats all. You can upload patch.diff to trac.

Now, if you want to see if the patch applies to trunk, you can do this:

Presuming you already have trunk checked out in the trunk folder:

svn co http://core.svn.wordpress.org/trunk

1. Go to trunk dir: cd trunk
2. Apply patch from earlier: patch -p0 < ../stable/patch.diff

If you don't understand that, I think you should take some time to really
grok SVN first:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/