[wp-hackers] Switching from SVN

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Fri Dec 10 13:23:49 UTC 2010

On Dec 10, 2010, at 8:16 AM, scribu wrote:

> The current release is under tags/3.0.3.
>
> The stable branch is in branches/3.0.
>
> At the moment, the 3.0 branch is identical to the 3.0.3 tag, because there
> haven't been any commits made yet, but that's not always the case.

So with SVN I still have the issue I described; assuming I don't want to break my project by installing not released code I still have to set up another install in order to generate a patch, right?

> A possible git workflow:
>
> 0. Clone the WP repo: git clone git://some-mirror-url.com/wordpress.git
>
> 1. Make some changes on the stable branch
>
> 2. Switch to dev branch (without loosing changes): git checkout development
>
> 3. Test changes and make patch: git format-patch > patch.diff
>
> 4. Switch back to stable branch: git checkout stable

And so for the scenario I described Git doesn't allow me to make "patches" to the released code (vs. a branch) any more than SVN, right?

-Mike