[wp-hackers] Switching from SVN

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Fri Dec 10 12:30:09 UTC 2010

On Dec 10, 2010, at 6:40 AM, Peter Westwood wrote:
> How is switching VCS going to magically make it easier.

I wasn't so much arguing for a switch as I was explaining why I don't produce nearly as many patches as I would like with the hopes someone could point out how to do it easier.

And/or if those who know distributed vc well say it's possible, then my scenario would be just one data point to support it.

> In the situation you describe my process would be as follows:
>
> 1) Find bug in stable WordPress while developing client site
> 2) Search trac for bug reports - find nothing carry on. Find fix - apply and test out.
> 3) Submit trac ticket for bug
> 4) Create fix for bug in Stable WordPress
> 5) Submit patch to trac ticket against stable release.
>
> You don't need to setup a new site or anything the checkout you have is a good place to work
>
> In some cases your patch will apply to trunk too anyway - in other cases merging it into trunk will require some effort.

Then after all this time I still don't understand how patching is supposed to work.  My assumption has always been that I had to patch from trunk.  Maybe you could be so kind as to review this and make comment?

http://wordpress.stackexchange.com/questions/990/easiest-way-to-create-a-patch-for-submission-to-wordpress-core

To be clear you are saying that if a project I'm working on is the current stable release I can generate a patch from it after modifying core and that will work for you?

-Mike