[wp-hackers] Switching from SVN

Ankur Oberoi aoberoi at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 12:29:43 UTC 2010

lol yeah this discussion is really just about preferences and opinions now.

but i think we should all agree that technically using a distributed system
like git we can do all the things we did with svn with very *few* changes.
namely the workflow can be exactly the same, some commands change in syntax.
so with that said, if others find the functionality of a distributed system
like git beneficial for some other reason, what's the problem? it doesn't
effect those that won't use those features really, and if they don't want to
use those features thats because of their preference of how they work, not
the difficulty level.

otto:
you just don't seem to value what version control is for, and thats okay.
you see it as a necessary evil when working with others on something large.
i sometimes version control something only i am independently working on
because it helps me map my changes. maybe im not as good of a programmer as
you, maybe the problems i work on need to be broken down further, or maybe i
just think differently about the problem, but i don't see why adopting
 system that lets both of us work without asking you to change very much
should be an issue with anyone. right?