[wp-hackers] Switching from SVN

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Fri Dec 10 10:33:06 UTC 2010

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 4:11 AM, Otto <otto at ottodestruct.com> wrote:
> When somebody sends me changes, I expect them to send me a file full
> of their changes.

Thinking about this some more here...

My point is that developers tend to be very good at managing files.
Now you're asking them to manage URLs instead, and that seems more
difficult. You need tools to do it. You need web based systems to
collaborate with, which understand those URLs and systems. And yes,
they are creatable and such, but that's fragile. You spend a lot of
time screwing around with the system and not enough time doing the
actual work. Sites like github and so forth bother me because they
suffer from yet-another-damn-collaboration-tool to learn.

My preferred way of accepting patches for plugins (to pick an example)
is via email. It's easy, everybody knows how to use it, etc. If I used
a repository system for it then I'd spend more time screwing around
with that than I did coding.

Don't get me wrong; I don't like SVN. Hell, I don't much care for
version control at all. It mostly gets in my way. I accept that
version control is necessary for large multi-developer projects, but I
see it as a necessary evil. So all this screwing around with various
versioning systems and ticket management tools and such generally
ticks me off because it's yet one more stupid system I have to figure
out.

And that's why I don't like git. It's yet another annoying version
system, and this time it's not only difficult to learn, but it
actively interferes with the development process by insisting that you
use it to make actual meaningful changes, by becoming part of the
management structure. Yuck.

Anyway, good discussion guys. Bedtime. :)

-Otto