[wp-hackers] Switching from SVN

Ryan McCue lists at rotorised.com
Fri Dec 10 10:03:43 UTC 2010

Otto wrote:
> I think you're missing the point. I almost never actually apply other
> people's patches. I don't have to. I simply read them. You know, with
> my eyes.
>
> If you give me a URL or whatever link to your branch, how do I see it?
> How can I see what your code changes are?

I do the same, and you can use the same workflow of patches if you'd
prefer. If you'd prefer not to use patches, and use Git's, the web
interfaces work extremely well for this.

Take, for example, the changes I've been making to reddit's iPhone
application. This works well as an example, since it's the same workflow
as (I expect) people would use with WP. I forked their repository, and
have been working on it on my own repository. You can check my changes
at any time through something like:

https://github.com/rmccue/iReddit/compare/master

GitHub also makes merging this easy, with pull requests. Take for
example, this one:

https://github.com/reddit/iReddit/pull/1

You can see the discussion (not unlike a Trac ticket), the commits, and
you can get a diff view on the Files Changed tab.

I'm not saying that we necessarily need to use GitHub (in fact, running
our own would probably be better), but their interface is fantastic.

> Also, keep in mind that I am not a core committer. I'm not pushing
> changes into core. I submit my changes to trac like everybody else.

I'm aware of this, but my point was that merging in code from others is
not necessarily any harder than SVN. Specifically, refuting "As opposed
to the dirt simple process of *applying* a patch file." (Emphasis mine)

--
Ryan McCue
<http://ryanmccue.info/>