[wp-hackers] Switching from SVN

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Fri Dec 10 09:51:33 UTC 2010

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 3:02 AM, Ryan McCue <lists at rotorised.com> wrote:
> Otto wrote:
>> As opposed to the dirt simple process of applying a patch file.
>
> Applying a patch in SVN:
>    patch -p0 < some.diff
>
> Merging someone else's code in with Git:
>    git pull <repo url or name> <branch name, usually master>

I think you're missing the point. I almost never actually apply other
people's patches. I don't have to. I simply read them. You know, with
my eyes.

If you give me a URL or whatever link to your branch, how do I see it?
How can I see what your code changes are?

I only run code when I want to test it or deploy it. When I'm
collaborating, I'm not running other people's code, I'm reading it and
giving them feedback. Sometimes, if I'm going to change it, then I
apply it and make the changes. But that's rare.

Also, keep in mind that I am not a core committer. I'm not pushing
changes into core. I submit my changes to trac like everybody else.

-Otto