[wp-hackers] Switching from SVN

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Fri Dec 10 06:41:28 UTC 2010

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 12:33 AM, Mike Schinkel
<mikeschinkel at newclarity.net> wrote:
> After reading this thread and especially that last comment I'm finally feeling like much less the idiot for having asked this question:
>
> http://wordpress.stackexchange.com/questions/990/easiest-way-to-create-a-patch-for-submission-to-wordpress-core

As somebody who doesn't use an IDE, my process for creating a patch
against core is pretty simple. I use Windows most of the time, and
Tortoise SVN.

First, I update my working copy to trunk. This is not unusual, I run
trunk live, so I do that all the time. Right click the WP folder,
select SVN Update.

Second, I make my changes. Usual editor on Windows: TextPad.

Third, I test my changes. Since I have my trunk running live on a
local install, this is easy. Don't even have to copy stuff around.

Fourth, I make the diff. Right click the WP folder, select SVN->Create
Patch. Save the diff file somewhere (usually the same directory the wp
install is in). I tend to give it a name based on the number of the
ticket. Don't have to, but it helps to know what's what.

Fifth, I upload the patch to the relevant ticket.

Easy, really.

If I'm working in Linux, I use the command line. svn up, svn diff, etc.

-Otto