[wp-hackers] Switching from SVN

Bjorn Wijers burobjorn at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 20:44:40 UTC 2010

Although I think that most of the issues I have* with the current
WordPress development model are not going to be solved with a different
version control system, I too would welcome distributed version control
over Subversion.

Personally I like Bazaar (http://bazaar.canonical.com/en/).
It's quite well supported on all major platforms (Windows, Linux and
OSX) with a nice gui and offers imho a well thought out work-flow. Oh
and it is nicely integrated with Launchpad(). Bonus points for all of
this being open source software :)

* For those interested: my issues with the current development model or
why I sometime ago stopped participating in core related work:

1) No clear guidelines on how the WordPress community may participate in
the decision process and direction of WordPress
2) no clear guidelines on how one may become a core committer
3) No roadmap as far as I can see
4) Arbitrary and unclear (at least to me) way of handling tickets and
patches

Bonus: No mandatory brackets for control structures...C'mon that's just
plain silly.

Feel free to enlighten me if some of these points have already been
addressed,

Grtz
BjornW