[wp-hackers] Switching from SVN

scribu mail at scribu.net
Thu Dec 9 12:33:54 UTC 2010

I would like to start what will probably turn out to be a premature
discussion, namely that of switching core development to a distributed
version control system.

== Scenario ==

I'm a developer (without commit access) who wants to improve a certain
feature in the WordPress core.

It doesn't even have to be a big enhancement, like the rework I had to do in
my GSoC project (ajaxify the admin list tables), just something that
requires touching more than a dozen lines of code.

= Current workflow =

Initial phase:

 1. I do a svn checkout of trunk.
 2. I make my modifications.
 3. I generate a patch and upload it to the ticket.

Feedback phase:

 4. Other devs apply my patch and test.
 5. I make improvements and update the patch.
 6. Goto step 4.

Maintenance phase:

 7. Update patch against latest trunk and re-upload it.

Integration phase:

 8. A lead dev commits my patch.

= Better workflow =

Initial phase:

 1. I fork the main repo.
 2. I make my modifications and commit to my fork.
 3. I issue a pull request to the main repository.

Feedback phase:

 4. Other devs clone my fork, test and review individual commits.
 5. I make improvements and do further commits on my fork.
 6. Goto step 4.

Maintenance phase:

 7. I periodically merge changes from the main repository.

Integration phase:

 8. A lead dev merges in all or some commits from my fork to the main
repository.

== Discussion ==