[wp-hackers] Page Templates vs Category Templates

scribu mail at scribu.net
Thu Dec 2 20:39:04 UTC 2010

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 10:31 PM, Otto <otto at ottodestruct.com> wrote:

> More to the point though, categories, like tags, are not "things".
> They are not nouns, they are adjectives. They don't have meta-data
> because they *are* meta-data. So while yes, there's nothing
> technically difficult about giving them their own template choice
> boxes, it doesn't seem to be an effective use of the system. You'd
> have to attach meta to meta, which doesn't make any sense. Adjectives
> don't usually have their own adjectives.

To continue the grammar analogy, adjectives don't have their own adjectives,
but they can have adverbs attached to them, as weird as that may sound.

Anyway, even as they stand, categories do have some meta data of their own:
the user-friendly title is the most obvious one.

> There's a more generic idea here that I can't put my finger on yet.

The generic idea I have is to allow posts to be attached directly to pages,
which goes back to allowing many-to-many relationships between posts
(objects).