[wp-hackers] Page Templates vs Category Templates

Haluk Karamete halukkaramete at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 05:06:59 UTC 2010

But when you have the category-foobar.php, you've got to name the
category slug as foobar - which is not URL friendly. And that's where
the buck stops. When we stretch the concept a little, we  soon see
that approach may lead to dead-ends such as
"Category-sidebar-sidebar-content.php" and obviously that's the end of
the idea

Interestingly, pages do not suffer from this problem. Why? Is it
because they got the special functionality that is you could create
any php file and tuck the "Template Name:  Something Like Sidebar
Sidebar Content" at its header? And simple there is no room for
category's to be able to benefit from something like that?

Could the post-formats take care of this? I doubt cause the post
formats are addressing the problem at the post level, not at the
category level.

I still believe that it is a good feature to enable users so that when
they are creating a new category for a new bunch of post types, they
will be able to pick from a dropdown a layout of choice. But I just
don't see how it can be done with the way Template Hiearchy is, the
way WP is.

Yes, the current structure allows me to come up with
category-videos.php, category-audios.php, category-articles.php but
layout wise, the first two may be using the very same look and feel (
that is one-column no sidebar layout ) , while the 3rd ( the articles
) is using the content + sidebar layout. Even though, I need 2
layouts, I still need 3 category.php's. You may say, why not have the
default category.php to have one column layout then you can stil get
away with 2 category templates. But when you have 100 cats, and 10
different layout options, that idea will not work.

We should be able to group categories as far as layouts as well. For
exammple, categories a,b,c,d,e,f will use 1 column lay out and cats
t,u,x,y,z will use 4 column layout. Is that somehow possible? If so
how?