[wp-hackers] Reexplanation

Brent Shepherd brent at prospress.org
Fri Aug 27 23:48:56 UTC 2010

Philip,

Take a look at this plugin: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/map-cap/

With it, you can control which roles can do what with your custom post type.
To provide access to the edit custom post screen only, you could give a
subscriber role the "Publish custom post" capability. Users with the
subscriber role will then be able to see the edit screen for your custom
post type but not the edit screen for vanilla post/page types.

Take a look at the plugin's code to see which capabilities are required to
perform each action on your custom post type (publish, edit own, edit others
etc.) and how to map these capabilities for your custom post type.

Hope that helps.

Brent