[wp-hackers] Strange Issue after upgrading wpmu 2.9.1 to 3.0.1 - blog home pages randomly show up blank

David Morris dvmorris at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 20:03:31 UTC 2010

I upgraded a wpmu 2.9.1 installation to 3.0.1, and I am having an
intermittent issue with a number of blogs where the page will show up
completely blank. Then when I go to that blog's /wp-admin page, it loads
fine. Then as soon as I go back to the blog home page, it works. The blog
seems to work fine for a while, and occasionally it will die again.

I see nothing coming into the Apache or the PHP error logs, and nothing is
displayed on the screen. When I crawl the site with Xenu Link Sleuth, some
of the blog home pages will return a status of "no info to return", and an
error description of "file has zero length".

The Apache access log shows a lot of 404 errors, but they don't always
correspond to the errors displayed in Xenu. The only other strange thing I
noticed is that Xenu attempts to make requests to blog post pages without
including the blog name in the URL. So if a blog post URL looked like this:

http://blogs.example.com/blog1/this-is-a-blog-post

Xenu will request the blog home page (http://blogs.example.com/blog1),
receive an error, and then immediately request this:

http://blogs.example.com/this-is-a-blog-post (without /blog1 in there)

Any ideas as to why this might be occurring? Thanks for your help,

Dave