[wp-hackers] multiple databases vs different database prefixes

Cornelius, Gregory gcorne at bu.edu
Wed Aug 25 17:55:21 UTC 2010

This is not for the feint of heart, especially if the environments are hooked up to different databases and the global tables (wp_blogs, wp_site, etc...) are not synchronized.

I have been working with a group of developers on a large MPMU installation for a couple years, and we still don't have an ideal setup for prod, staging, test, devel, and development branches.  We are getting closer, but there have been lots of hiccups along the way.

Two improvements that I would like to see happen are: an API for fetching/modifying blog settings (including widgets/sidebars) across a number of blogs in one fell swoop and a fully supported method for bootstrapping WordPress in a PHP script from the CLI .