[wp-hackers] Code reviews for plugins?

Rich Pedley elfin at elfden.co.uk
Mon Aug 23 17:18:50 UTC 2010

> On Aug 23, 2010, at 12:01 PM, WPTavern wrote:
>
>>> I think one of the best ideas I've seen proposed so far
>>> regarding plugin reviews is the idea of setting up an Amazon
>>> like review system for plugins. Each plugin on the repository
>>> gets their own review section aka comments. These comments
>>> could then be rated by the community with the most voted
>>> comments displayed at the top. This system is not subject to
>>> liability and instead of a team of people working behind the
>>> scenes through an email list or what have you, the entire
>>> community becomes the team of reviewers. The reviews/comments
>>> form also provides an opportunity for the end user to state
>>> whether or not the plugin works or is broken which would solve
>>> the other problem of plugin devs not getting feedback when
>>> someone marks their plugin as broken.

I would prefer that approach, it does work elsewhere and is suitable
for reviews - both good and bad. If used I would like the current
version number of plugin to be used as a default, even if there is a
drop down selection of all versions.

people are more likely to use it, and is far better than the current
works/doesn't work system (which I have never liked).

On 23/08/2010 17:09, Paul wrote:
 > How is that different than the already in place plugin rating
 > system hosted on WP.org? There users (not just developers) can rate
 > your plugin and advise other is it works with a particular version
 > of WP. Also it links to user support mentions from the WP.org
 > forum.

because the current system is anonymous, and feedback from people for
when things don't work is virtually non existent. (to the point where
I think someone who for whatever reason has a grudge will follow up
and continually mark something as not working when they haven't even
tried it).

 > Do we really need to start splintering the plugin reviews into
 > another micro-communitee controlled site?

In this instance feedback for plugin authors is useful not just for
the author but for potential users. It's a way for users to rant about
how bad something was as well as provide good reviews. Having it
hidden away on a forum misses this. I would hope to see people strive
to get good reviews! because it will be there for all to see.

Obviosuly the plugin author should be able to reply to individual
comments/reviews, but shouldn't be able to edit/delete. However some
functionality for someone to report malicious ones might be a good
idea to have available from the off it was ever implemented.

Rich
--
don't have an iphone, and can't even text from a mobile