[wp-hackers] Transitioning to Multi-site

Eric Mann eric at eamann.com
Mon Aug 23 15:09:00 UTC 2010

I have a client who runs 8 different blogs, currently on 8 separate
installations of WordPress.  I'm trying to encourage them to move to a single MS
installation instead to make it easier (mostly on me) to maintain the different
sites, themes, and mix of plug-ins.  Unfortunately, I shied away from MU for the
longest time, and now I have no idea where to start with MS.

I've used WP-Hive in the past because it allowed me to use multiple domains with
one installation of WordPress (I don't like sub-folder blogs or sub-domains
sites).  This client project, if we go forward, will be a similar setup -
multiple single-domain blogs hosted on a single WordPress installation.

So what steps should I follow to
 1) Set up Multisite - I know how to install it, but how should I configure it
considering I want to use it for separate domains, not sub-folders or
sub-domains?
 2) Move content - I assume the regular WP export-import process will work?
 3) Map the domains to their new home on the new installation?