[wp-hackers] Code reviews for plugins?

Lynne Pope lynne.pope at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 14:34:04 UTC 2010

I think the first thing that needs to happen is for people to agree on what
they want a process like this to do. Paul & Christopher have really good
points and if the goal is to improve the quality of plugins then a review
should be (IMO) limited to looking at security & functionality. If people
get into arguments over camelcase, whether tabs or spaces should be used for
indenting, etc etc then little will be achieved except bitterness.

If, however, the intention is to review plugins with the goal of providing
some surety for end-users then this is a completely different process. This
thread shows people are thinking of both of these but I'm not so sure that
both can be achieved.

On 24 August 2010 01:07, Harry Metcalfe <harry at thedextrousweb.com> wrote:

> <snip>
>
> A code review where people just check each other's plugins and offer advice
> would be great -- but I think it's a different thing. By all means, let's do
> it. All we need is a mailing list and some willing developers.
>
> But I don't think anyone can make any claims about general quality as a
> result of having been through that process. Certainly no "This has been
> vetted by the community"-type-assurances on the plugin pages. Because such a
> process, while helping everyone learn, wouldn't really guarantee quality, or
> anything else.

This is potentially a minefield. Users don't give a damn about quality -
they just want to know a plugin works, does what it says it does, is secure,
and doesn't conflict with other plugins. It doesn't matter to users if the
plugin is poorly written.
The moment the words, "assurances" or "certification" come in, someone takes
responsibility. THAT is absolutely the last thing the community should do.
No matter how good a vetting process is, guarantees cannot be given. For a
start, guarantees are specifically excluded from the GPL. NO WARRANTY

Lynne