[wp-hackers] multiple databases vs different database prefixes

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Thu Aug 19 18:39:58 UTC 2010

On Aug 19, 2010, at 1:09 PM, Christopher Bratlien wrote:
> From a security point of view:
>
> Having multiple databases gives you the opportunity to setup different DB
> admins and therefore sandbox each site from each others' tables. A malicious
> script or accidental and dangerous query has less chance of damaging tables
> of other sites' DBs it doesn't have access to. But at the same time, you
> trade off the convenience of being able to do comprehensive backup and
> restore of the one-and-only DB.

To be clear, HyperDB allows multiple databases on one Multisite install so the above, while a potentially very valid point doesn't negative the value of Multisite for the use-case.

As I understand it Ken is doing this for a client, not for his own company.  If the latter I'd say "Fine, shoot yourself in the foot if you want" but for the former he really owes it to his client not to deliver them a maintenance nightmare.

-Mike