[wp-hackers] multiple databases vs different database prefixes

Ryan Bilesky rbilesky at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 18:19:30 UTC 2010

I have to agree with Jeremy on this. Heck I'm having a hard time just
figuring out what one person/company could need 300 diffrent sites for.
Maybe a large company liek Microsoft might need hundreds of sites for
diffrnet things.  But I agree if you are going to have alot of sites why not
use multisite.

Back on topic, if you do an internet search there are many forums and other
sites that talk about using one large db versus several small dbs.  The
consesus I am seeming to find is that one large database is easier to
maintain but several smaller dbs work well if each site for instance would
need a seperate backup regimine, or if you want to split the databases
accross multipule servers.

Oh and a random but perhaps appropriate quote I found during this search:
"Put all your eggs in one basket. And then, watch that basket!" -Mark Twain

I think ultimatley it comes down to needs, idk that any one solution is
beter than the other.  Each has  its own advantages and its abot what works
best for your situation.  Such as do you want to split over multipule
servers, do you want to easily share data between sites.