[wp-hackers] Twenty Ten theme issue?

Rich Pedley elfin at elfden.co.uk
Mon Aug 16 10:33:19 UTC 2010

On 16/08/2010 08:27, Otto wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 2:07 AM, Ryan Hellyer<ryan at pixopoint.com>
> wrote:
>>> No, it sounds like a WordPress bug. Resizing should not be done
>>> via the image width and height tags, ever.
>>
>> This is true, but the theme should not be forcibly over-riding
>> the HTML like that either, particularly since WordPress actually
>> has functionality in the back-end for actually changing those
>> dimensions without even touching the code.
>
> Well, my point is that if WP was doing the right thing here and
> using inline styles, then it wouldn't matter what the theme did.
> Inline styles always win.
>
> The main purpose of a theme's stylesheet is pretty much to
> "override" the HTML. Stylesheets control the presentation, after
> all. In this case, the height and width of "auto" is merely
> expressing the default settings, and normally it'd be the correct
> way to do it.

But there is also a case for the width and height attributes on the
img (isn't it still recommended?).

I can recall seeing people resizing full size images into thumbnail
size (shudder) as a way of (cough) pre loading the images for when
they are viewed fullsize.

I don't know if you class TimyMCE as fully part of WordPress (the
visual editor is still using that isn't it?) but I'm guessing the sort
of behaviour it does with regard to images and resizing is common
across many so called WYSIWYG editors.

Rich