[wp-hackers] How to mark a hacked file to skip update checks

Nathaniel Taintor goldenapplesdesign at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 04:38:16 UTC 2010

Hi all... I've got a fairly basic question about best practices in hacking
plugins or themes. (Yeah, I know its best not to do it at all, but sometimes
budget or time makes it necessary... )

My question is: what is the best way of marking a hacked plugin to keep it
from checking for updates? Especially with the way the one-click updates
work, I would really hate for a client to forget that I told them
specifically not to update particular plugins and wipe out features that I
worked hard to add in.

I looked around and saw this blog post of Paul's talking about hooking into
'transient_update_plugins' to hide the update nag from specific plugins,
which is a pretty neat trick:

http://www.codehooligans.com/2009/08/30/disable-wordpress-plugins-update-indicator-for-inactive-plugins/

But I would think it would make sense if there was an easier way to do it:
say, a simple tag that could be added to the header to disable update
checks. Is there anything like that out there?

Than
goldenapplesdesign.com