[wp-hackers] wp-admin folder and admin-ajax.php

Gavin Pearce Gavin.Pearce at 3seven9.com
Tue Aug 10 08:31:55 UTC 2010

Hi Andrew,

As per my email - that doesn't really address the issue, or suggest why
the ticket was closed. The resolution in the ticket states:

"admin-ajax.php can be used (and is better for) for front-end/nopriv
AJAX requests".

I understand it "can" be used - but in what way is it "better"?

Being the only file within wp-admin that is required sometimes by the
front-end, just because "it works", doesn't seem a valid reason?

In the ticket, just before removing the file, TobaisBG raises some good
points that seem to have been missed. If a site has htaccess restriction
on the wp-admin area, as suggested in various places in the CODEX (and
not altogether a bad idea), this will break any plugins that rely on
AJAX. You can't expect plugin developers to ask people to modify their
htaccess files to get their plugin to work... Let's not even begin on
SSL ...

Thanks,
Gavin