[wp-hackers] Custom themes/plugins server

Christopher Ross cross at thisismyurl.com
Mon Aug 9 14:38:23 UTC 2010

Lox,

I do something fairly basic in my custom plugins using the code below I download a copy of the plugin every week and overwrite the existing custom plugin, that way I am sure that any changes I make are published to client websites every seven days, since I do a lot of work with charities and manage the sites ongoing this process saves me a ton of labour.

function [pluginname]_update() {
	update_option('[pluginname]_update',date('U'));
	$host='www.thisismyurl.com';
	$ua='Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.6) Gecko/20060728 Firefox/1.5';

	$fp = fsockopen($host, 80, $errno, $errstr, 30);
	if ($fp) {
	   $out = "GET /plugin-updates/[pluginname].zip HTTP/1.1\r\n";
	   $out .= "User-Agent: $ua\r\n";
	   $out .= "Host: $host\r\n";
	   $out .= "Connection: Close\r\n\r\n";

	   fwrite($fp, $out);

	   while (!feof($fp)) {$data .= fgets($fp, 128);}
	   fclose($fp);
	}
}

If this code was in a function, you could call it from the footer

	if ((get_option('[pluginname]_update')+(600000)) < date('U')) {[pluginname]_update();}

Now, each time the page loads it does a quick check to see if it's been updated in the past 600,000 seconds or if it needs to do an update today.

Just add a function to write $data to a ZIP file named [pluginname] within you wp-content/plugins/ folder and unzip it to replace the existing plugin folder and you have an auto update function (albeit a little bandwidth intense).

Chris