[wp-hackers] Categories as Post Types

Jacob Beauregard deadowlsurvivor at gmail.com
Sat Aug 7 23:17:58 UTC 2010

One of the things that surprised me when I started fooling around with
my own first Wordpress installation is that categories didn't take
custom fields. In my opinion, it would be useful for categories to be
a post type.

My use case: There is a post type of "Program" at a university.
Programs have courses. There is also a post type "Course," which is
categorized in a "Program" taxonomy. There is (practically) a
one-to-one correlation between the Program post type and the Program
taxonomy categories. It would be useful to have the "Program"
categories be their own post type (able to set custom fields, etc).