[wp-hackers] Examples of plugins that use the transient API

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Thu Aug 5 16:56:49 UTC 2010

The fetch_feed code in core uses the transient API for caching,
eventually. It uses SimplePie to retrieve feeds, but hooks the
SimplePie requests in with the WP_Feed_Cache object. WP_Feed_Cache is
an extended SimplePie_Cache class that uses the
WP_Feed_Cache_Transient to store the data. WP_Feed_Cache_Transient,
naturally, uses transients.

So anything that displays a feed (all the feeds on the dashboard, for
instance) use transients. Cache time on them defaults to 12 hours.

-Otto