[wp-hackers] WP 3 Multisite List Blogs

Andrew Nacin wp at andrewnacin.com
Sun Aug 1 15:58:41 UTC 2010

On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 11:07 AM, Christopher Ross <cross at thisismyurl.com>wrote:

> I'd agree with you Otto, while it's not a function I'd like to call on
> every page it doesn't seem to be that heavy a call.

If someone wants to come up with a replacement function that avoids the post
counts and caches the results, then you're welcome to submit it to Trac.

The latest example would run a query on every page load -- nay, function
call -- on a table that can get very large (and isn't indexed well for this
query). If you're going to have a $num argument, that should be a LIMIT, to
prevent you from querying 70,000 rows then chopping off 69,990.

Personally, I think this is best solved on a per-installation level, which
is often the case when considering how to implement scalable functions and
features in multisite.