[wp-hackers] Customizing the view of custom taxonomies

Andrew Nacin wp at andrewnacin.com
Sun Aug 1 09:31:39 UTC 2010

On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 5:13 AM, Scott Bressler <sbressler at gmail.com> wrote:

> So what I'm asking is if it's possible to edit and customize the UI for a
> custom taxonomy or should I be avoiding taxonomies altogether for this
> plugin?

Absolutely utilize taxonomies if they work as a storage schema and the API
suits what you're doing. If the UI requires some tweaking, that's quite easy
to do; WordPress allows unlimited flexibility there. As you mentioned, you
can use your own meta box callback (and the handling of the posted data
server-side), but you can also disable, customize, or entirely replace
edit-tags.php, or really whatever else you need to do.