No subject

Tue Apr 20 23:23:57 UTC 2010

"see *Sony Corp. v. Universal City
Studios<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Corp._of_America_v._Universal_Cit=
y_Studios,_Inc.>
* for a case in which substantial copying=97entire programs for private
viewing=97was upheld as fair use
see *Kelly v. Arriba Soft
Corporation<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelly_v._Arriba_Soft_Corporation>
,* where the Ninth Circuit <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninth_Circuit> hel=
that copying an entire photo to use as a thumbnail in online search results
did not weigh against fair use, 'if the secondary user only copies as much
as is necessary for his or her intended use.'"
 Simple put just refuting one point though is not enough!

Also from Wikipedia, "Once these factors were codified as guidelines in 17
U.S.C. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Title_17_of_the_United_States_Code>
=A7 107 <http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html>, they were not
rendered exclusive. The section was intended by Congress to restate, but no=
replace, the prior judge-made law. Courts are still entitled to consider
other factors as well."

My statement that it was non-commercial use isn't implying that someone is
restricted from doing so, but what I was getting at is Matt didn't develop
the plugin as a commercial product, it is included in wordpress a free
product, not a commercial product, and the point that the end use generates
no commercial value for the user is also a good point to this.

Plus something to consider is also the fact that even though the whole
lyrics are in the plugin, they are never displays together which would
probably be taken into consideration ect.

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 4:02 PM, Chip Bennett <chip at chipbennett.net> wrote:

> [...]
.

> "Hello, Dolly!" lyrics have nothing to do with WordPress Plugin
> development.
> *Any* lyrics (or non-lyrical text, for that matter) could be used to
> demonstrate the explode performed by the Plugin. Thus, use of the "Hello,
> Dolly!" lyrics does not further the educational use of the Plugin.
>
> And that's just Clause #1. Clause #3 ends any argument. The entirety of t=
he
> copyrighted work is incorporated into the Plugin.
>
> Chip
>
> On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 5:29 PM, Ryan Bilesky <rbilesky at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > The educational use, IMO, is how the wordpress plugin system works.  No=
> > mention the use is also non commercial.
> >
> > Also it is my understanding that you do not have to meet all those
> > criteria,
> > just have a balande, thus meeting just 2 of them is probably good enoug=
h,
> > meeting 3 or all 4 just makes an even stronger case.
> >
> > Again this is based on my understanding and intrerpretation, im not a
> > lawyer
> > but this seems obviously fair use to me.
> >
> > Anyway i'll leave it at that.
> >
> > On Dec 15, 2010 3:13 PM, "Chip Bennett" <chip at chipbennett.net> wrote:
> > > 1. *Educational/Non-Commercial Use:* The use of the "Hello, Dolly!"
> > > lyrics do not further any educational purpose of the Plugin, and lack
> of
> > use
> > > of those lyrics would not negatively detract from such educational
> > purpose.
> > > Any public-domain lyrics could be used in place of the copyrighted
> work,
> > and
> > > the educational purpose (to teach WordPress Plugin developers how to
> > > implement certain Plugin API features and other functions) would be
> > > furthered equally as it is with the copyrighted work being used. By t=
he
> > way:
> > > distributing the Plugin with WordPress? That lessens the "educational
> > use"
> > > argument even more, because it makes the use less individual and/or
> > > spontaneous.
> > >
> > > 2. *Nature of Copyrighted Work:* The nature of the copyrighted work -
> > > lyrics to a song - does not inherently lend the work to be used in th=
> > > manner for which it is incorporated by the Plugin.
> > >
> > > 3. *Substantiality/Extent of Use:* The Plugin incorporates the entire
> > > lyrics, not an excerpt or a snippet, but rather the entire work.
> > >
> > > 4. *Market Effect:* The Plugin has no effect on the market for the
> > > original work.
> > >
> > > #1 and #3 will kill any attempt at a fair-use infringement defense.
> > >
> > > My primary concern is that the matter be taken seriously by the
> > > powers-that-be. Given that wp-hackers isn't the appropriate venue for
> > > ensuring that concern is met, I'll do my best to bow out of the

C. =A7