[wp-hackers] Safe location for "fallback" theme

Peter Westwood peter.westwood at ftwr.co.uk
Wed Apr 21 21:21:03 UTC 2010

On 21 Apr 2010, at 13:53, Stephen Rider wrote:

> On Apr 21, 2010, at 2:03 AM, Peter Westwood wrote:
>
>> This is the /standard/ behaviour if you delete your theme - whatever your theme is and has been for a while
>>
>> From memory we ended up with this because in the past we used to auto-switch to the /default/ theme when we couldn't find the theme folder on the disk unfortunately this had the behaviour on a number of hosts (I think where NFS is involved) of randomly switching peoples themes back to /default/ which is definitely not desirable.
>
> Just for the record, I wasn't suggesting changing the *setting* -- just using the fallback if the set theme isn't found at the moment.  Put the theme back, it's still the chosen theme.  (This is the way my pull-quotes Styles work.)

At the moment we forcibly switch to a working theme if you visit the themes page - I wouldn't expect to change that.

>> What we could and maybe should do is display a (possibly customisable) error page if we can't find the current theme on the front-end - this could then provide you with a link to the Themes section in the Administration to allow you to go and fix the issue
>
> This is a good solution.
>
> Also FYI -- lack of theme doesn't stop access to admin.  There's just no front end; back end is fine.  So all we need is the error page -- admin can already go in to admin section to fix it, IF he knows what's wrong.

A first pass.

http://core.trac.wordpress.org/attachment/ticket/11282/11282.diff

Comments / Improvements welcome on the ticket

westi
--
Peter Westwood
C53C F8FC 8796 8508 88D6 C950 54F4 5DCD A834 01C5