[wp-hackers] wp_nav_menu too simplistic?

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Tue Apr 6 17:42:50 UTC 2010

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 12:33 PM, Nathan Rice <ncrice at gmail.com> wrote:
> Otto,
> So (if I'm understanding you right), you would wish for the ability to
> perhaps select a parent page and, say, 4 of its subpages, click "add" and
> the hierarchy is maintained when they are added to the menu? (same for
> categories)
>
> Then, you could move the pages around, reorder, rearrange, etc.
>
> +1 for that. I've always wondered a bit why the hierarchy isn't maintained
> when adding groups of pages/cats to a menu.

What I would wish for is the ability to pick, say, one Page. And then
have all its subpages added under it and hierarchy maintained as well.
AND to have this done dynamically, so that I don't have to screw
around with the menu every time I add a Page.

Adding a Page right now causes it to auto-appear in my menus. I don't
want that to be some kind of silly manual process.

Looking closer at this menu system, it appears to only be storing
names and URLs. There's no hint of anything dynamically created here
at all, via callback or anything else. If I change the URL to one of
my Pages, for example, my menu is now invalid and broken.

So far, I'm very much -1 against it. It should be a whole lot smarter than this.

-Otto