[wp-hackers] wp_nav_menu too simplistic?

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Tue Apr 6 17:24:47 UTC 2010

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 11:42 AM, John O'Nolan <john.wp at onolan.org> wrote:
> Because it's much MORE capable.

So, it's unable to create a dynamic menu of my pages, and that's
somehow "more" to you?

Look, I get drag and drop. Yay, lovely, fine. What I want to know is
why is it not more like the widgets mechanism, where I can, say, drag
and drop a "Pages" widget there and then configure it to show one of
my pages and all of that pages children underneath it? Seems like a
rather obvious thing to do, to me.

As it stands, every time I add a page, I'd have to go muck about with
my menu and adding that page to it. That seems like a major step
backwards to me.

Yay for reordering, yay for widgetization, but boo to poor selection
of possible menu items. This new menu system seems little better than
manually editing the HTML to me. Every item in it is a static link,
basically. You have to manually define every single one, there's no
intelligence here at all.

Is it even possible to expand the types of menu items with plugins?
I've only just started diving into this thing, but if there's some
kind of plugin that can add "smart" menu items, then maybe we'd be
getting somewhere.

-Otto