[wp-hackers] WPM(U|S) and table partitions

Andy Skelton skeltoac at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 16:15:38 UTC 2010

Hi, Elizabeth,

> Has anyone explored table partitioning with wordpress?

You haven't said it in these words, but I believe you want all of the
blogs' comments and posts in monolithic comments/posts tables. This
would allow you to run analytical queries against the entire dataset,
avoiding foreaches. Unless you are acting in an environment where
economics can be ignored, I would advise against it.

There was a project called Lyceum http://lyceum.ibiblio.org/ that
basically took WordPress MU in that direction. It has been defunct for
almost two years. It proved to be uneconomical to maintain a version
of WordPress that diverged at such a deep level.

My advice is to denormalize any statistical data that needs to be used
for real-time business decisions, and continue to use foreach for
periodic statistics. By denormalize I mean duplicate the data in a
separate table designed for the analytical need.

Cheers,
Andy