[wp-hackers] Custom Page Template - can't see the forest through the trees

Mike Walsh mpwalsh8 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 2 16:46:06 UTC 2010

On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 12:36 PM, Otto <otto at ottodestruct.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 11:28 AM, Mike Walsh <mpwalsh8 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I could but then the page I want this content on wouldn't show up in the
> > page based navigation structure.
>
> Define "page-based navigation structure", exactly. Do you mean the
> URLs, or do you mean in your menu system?
>
> Because if your menu system doesn't show the category you want, then
> honestly, it's better (and easier) to change that menu system to do
> that instead of hacking a page template up into becoming a
> faux-category archive.
>
> 3.0 has a user-definable menu system that will make this even simpler, BTW.
>
> -Otto

I am working on a project for my wife, the hardest customer you'll ever
have!

The theme I am using, which isn't mine, includes tabs across the top based
on the existance of pages.  The theme supports ordering the tabs and
preventing pages from becoming tabs but not much else.  What she wanted was
the posts from one category in particular to be listed when you click on a
certain tab.

Certainly WP3.0 will make this easier and there are other themese better
suited to this but neither of those is a viable option today so I thought
adding another page template based on the existing index.php would be a
simple and quick solution.  John Bloch's suggestion has me 90% of the way
there, just need to tweak it a bit.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike Walsh - mpwalsh at gmail.com