[wp-hackers] Child themes, and DB options

Tynan Colin Beatty junsuijin at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 16:56:48 UTC 2009

Have a look at buddypress trunk, bp-themes/bp-sn-parent and
bp-themes/bp-default for some nice examples. The parent theme should utilize

{{{
locate_template( array( 'filename.php' ), true );
}}}
wherever you want to allow the child to override filename.php.
locate_template will search first in the child, and then in the parent.
In order to reference images in the parent directory, it is often desirable
to simply @import a stylesheet of the parent's.
Options should generally use your theme name, or some 2-3 letter version of
it, and not necessarily the basename of the path, and then your child can
easily reference the same 2-3 letter abbreviation. If you store your theme
options as a serialized array, all in one single option, this is
particularly simple.
peace~