[wp-hackers] <del> vs <span style="text-decoration:line-through">

Michael Toppa public at toppa.com
Tue Sep 15 11:05:56 UTC 2009

Yes, the del tag is the way to go. It has a purpose that is more than
just putting a line through text. See here:

http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/text.html#h-9.4

My guess is that TinyMCE went with the span tag before all the major
browsers supported the del tag, but the major browsers have supported it
for a while now (not all its attributes are supported by all of them
yet, but they all at least render it).

Mike T