[wp-hackers] shortcodes, BR tags and feed/XML-RPC interfaces

ravi ravi-lists at g8o.net
Tue Sep 8 21:28:36 UTC 2009

On Sep 4, 2009, at 11:40 PM, Joseph Scott wrote:
> I would say that the feed should contain the expanded HTML of the
> short code and not the raw short code itself.  For XML-RPC though the
> raw short code should be returned, not the expanded HTML.

My bad. The behaviour is indeed as above, on second look i.e., feed
has shortcodes expanded and XML-RPC does not. Which I agree is the way
it should be. Back to my other two issues:

a) Why a <br /> tag at the end of lines within the shortcode? Is this
wpautop() doing this? Is that a bug?

b) Any suggestions on how I might be able to retain the shortcode in
the text (in the DB, so that the shortcode content can be edited
later) but have it expanded in the XML-RPC interface? I suppose I
would need to use actions in a plug-in (not my theme) to accomplish
this, if at all. Any pointers on the actions/filters I should be
looking at?

Thank you,

	--ravi