[wp-hackers] TinyMCE in the frontend?

Matthew Gerring mgerring at emrl.com
Tue Oct 27 19:01:09 UTC 2009

Hello all.

I'm banging my head against the wall right now trying to get a TinyMCE
editor to show up on a front-end page.

I used the_editor(); , which works to an extent, until I actually try
to use the textarea it creates. Not only do the HTML buttons not do
anything, but I can't switch into TinyMCE mode. I get an undefined
function call.

I know that in order for TinyMCE to work you have to include a
boatload of JS and CSS, but there doesn't seem to be a complete list
anywhere, and all of the documentation on this I've seen is centered
on how to include TinyMCE in plugins, not in a front-end page, so the
filters I have to use are totally different.

Moreover, calling wp_tiny_mce(); at any point in a front-end page
causes the whole thing to whitescreen.

I'm using WPMU, although I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

Does anyone know how to do this?

-Matthew