[wp-hackers] Show only Shortcodes in Sidebar

Chris Jean gaarai at gaarai.com
Mon Oct 26 12:43:28 UTC 2009

Looks like Andy beat me to the punch, but here's my solution just in
case it helps:

    add_filter( 'the_content', 'just_shortcodes' );

    function just_shortcodes( $content ) {
        global $shortcode_tags;

        $tagnames = array_keys( $shortcode_tags );
    //  $tagnames = array( 'video_shortcode' );

        $tagregexp = join( '|', array_map( 'preg_quote', $tagnames ) );

        $regex = '\[('.$tagregexp.')\b(.*?)(?:(\/))?\](?:(.+?)\[\/\2\])?';

        preg_match_all( '/' . $regex . '/s', $content, $matches,
    PREG_PATTERN_ORDER );

        return implode( '', $matches[0] );
    }

I yanked most of this code from the get_shortcode_regex function in
wp-includes/shortcodes.php.

There are a few things of note here:

   1. This is built as a filter, so all you have to do is use the
      add_filter call before your sidebar code and then run
      remove_filter( 'the_content', 'just_shortcodes' ) after the
      sidebar code to return the_content calls to normal.
   2. Since the $tagnames array is built inside the filter function, you
      can tailor it to your needs to only include those shortcodes that
      you wish to display. I show this with the commented out line that
      manually sets the array. If you use this method, simply remove the
      line above it as it is no longer needed.
   3. The shortcodes are just slapped together with no spacing,
      newlines, or breaks between them. You can change this by supplying
      a different divider string in the first argument of the implode
      function.

I hope this helps.

Chris Jean
http://gaarai.com/