[wp-hackers] Encrypting comment_author_IP, comment_author_email and user_email

Dougal Campbell dougal at gunters.org
Fri Oct 23 23:35:12 UTC 2009

On Oct 23 2009 4:40 PM, Chris Jean wrote:
> Technically, if the data was stolen, it was neither published nor
> shared, so you haven't violated your promise.

That's just a cop-out.

Keep in mind that there can be very good reasons for not wanting to
store that data in a format that can be recovered. For example, if you
live in an oppressive country where "Freedom of Speech" is not observed
(and expressing opinions contrary to the government's can get you
arrested, tortured, and killed -- this is not just a theoretical
supposition). You may wish people to be able to have truly anonymous
discussions without the risk of exposing their identities should the
server be compromised or confiscated.

That said, I am not aware of a plugin to do this, but it should not be
hard to write one.

--
Dougal Campbell <dougal at gunters.org>
http://dougal.gunters.org/