[wp-hackers] Plugin License Excluding Spam

Christopher O'Connell jwriteclub at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 15:51:33 UTC 2009

I must confess, I don't really see what the problem is. Unless your software
has features specifically designed to make spamming easier, and you
advertise it that way, I don't see how you could be held liable for spam
that other people use your software to send. For instance, I don't think
that postfix or sendmail could be sued if someone used them for spam.

Furthermore, this is, in some ways, more appropriate for the warranty
section or a note. For instance after I got several emails for my uAudio
plugin asking (essentially) how to hotlink to audio on other's domains, I
made a little note at the end of my license file indicating that it was only
to be used to lawful purposes and that the user needed to obtain the
permission of the creator before posting any audio files. A little CYA, but
hopefully enough.

~ Christopher

I'm not a lawyer, and this isn't legal advice, results may vary, refrigerate
after opening, don't consume while driving, . . .