[wp-hackers] WordPress as CMS (was: wordpress security)

Joost de Valk joost at yoast.com
Wed Oct 21 20:57:03 UTC 2009

Otto,
I think there are now dozens of people on this list who are NOT agreeing
with you. Me and my company are rapidly using WordPress to replace large
corporate CMS'es, usually without using the blog functionality or by calling
it the "news section". We do so for a couple of reasons:
- because it's easy to develop for, and thus easy to hire people for,
- there's a slew of plugins available making a lot of the work that's
otherwise custom work as easy as flipping a switch,
- the interface is user friendly

And, more importantly: a lot of people KNOW WordPress from their blogs. It's
much like why most of the world uses Microsoft Word, even when they're
writing a book. Yes there are probably tools that, architecturally, are
better suited for the job, but because everyone knows how to use WordPress,
it's actually easier to implement. (this analogy is poorly written but hey,
i'm jotting it down quickly)

So, if you choose to do something else with WordPress, please do, but for a
lot of us, WordPress already IS a CMS. And I agree with Stephen that it's
about time we got the chance to change the wording in a lot of spaces. It
may sound trivial, but the wording is actually a *very* important part of
the interface... :)

Best,
Joost