[wp-hackers] wordpress security

Jeremy Clarke jer at simianuprising.com
Fri Oct 16 16:37:16 UTC 2009

On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 11:27 AM, Nathan Rice <ncrice at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 11:19 AM, Sharon Chambers <sharon at brewerradio.com>wrote:
> And no, a plugin won't suffice. It's a extra step that most users won't
> take.

I have to say +1 on this idea. It would be a simple step to add a
checkbox during installation that says something like

   [x] Email me when WordPress needs to be updated so it can stay secure.

I know that in my own case this would generate at least a dozen emails
in my inbox and I'd groan and sigh and complain, but that's what I
*need to do*. We're all riding this roller coaster of security because
we think WP is worth it, but there's a price. Solving the security
problems with WP probably *needs* to be annoying, otherwise it won't
get us to do the work we need to do to improve the situation.

P.S. Sharon, can you please do something about your email signature,
its so frikkin' long, it drives me crazy. Maybe cut it down for
mailing list postings?

--
Jeremy Clarke | http://jeremyclarke.org
Code and Design | http://globalvoicesonline.org