[wp-hackers] wordpress security

Jeff Chandler jeffc at wptavern.com
Fri Oct 16 16:21:40 UTC 2009

I'm with Nathan on this one. I don't see the harm in having WordPress
email the site administrator as one additional way of being notified of
an upgrade when the site detects it's available. This would be
especially useful for mobile users as email is a much nicer and
accessible way to this information considering logging into the
dashboard from a mobile device sucks or is impossible. This would be one
more way of eliminating the excuse that they were not notified in time
of the upgrade.

When I first started using WordPress, I signed up to the WordPress
Announcements mailing list because I wanted to be notified of when a new
update was available via Email because I check email 100 times a day
versus RSS feeds or the dashboard. Well, that list is as good as dead.
The only time I've received an email from that list is a big
announcement email regarding WordPress 2.7 from Matt Mullenweg. That's
it, in the span of two years. So this would turn the WP Announcements
mailing list into something automated controlled by the blog owner for
the site administrator since the middle man ain't cutting it anymore.