[wp-hackers] 2.9-rare - pomo obsoletes gettext.php and streams.php - how-to re-write plugin

Peter Westwood peter.westwood at ftwr.co.uk
Mon Oct 12 21:09:10 UTC 2009

On 12 Oct 2009, at 03:39, Evil ZEN Scientist wrote:

> Evening all, long time lurker and all that.
>
> I'm testing 2.9 nightly builds - and in the last couple of days a
> plugin has
> stopped working.
>
> The cause is covered in http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/10890
>
> We now use pomo to parse the translation files so we no longer need
> the
>> php-gettest library
>>
>> We should remove it and announce it's not there.
>>
>> We need to remove wp-includes/gettext.php and wp-includes/streams.php
>>
> My question - how can I fix this no-longer-maintained plugin to use
> the new
> functions?  (It's the old weather icon plugin)
>
> Is there anything graceful that would work with 2.9 and also pre-2.9?

What is the plugin and what gettext functions was it using directly?

WordPress has a clean api for translations and we replaced the
underlying implementation of those functions without modifying there
behaviour by replacing there use of gettext with the use of pomo.

If you can link to the plugin I will happily help you get it updated
to a working state.

westi
--
Peter Westwood
C53C F8FC 8796 8508 88D6 C950 54F4 5DCD A834 01C5