[wp-hackers] looking for opinions on php5-only plugins

Aaron D. Campbell aaron at xavisys.com
Wed Oct 7 13:28:25 UTC 2009

According to the guys at Automattic, roughly 85% of WordPress installs
run on PHP 5+.  The idea is to start introducing PHP 5 features and see
if they can increase that percentage before actually requiring PHP 5.
However, they currently encourage plugin authors to use PHP 5, which
will hopefully help push that percentage up as well.

As someone that uses PHP 5 in my plugins, I can say that you need to
make sure that you state "PHP 5 Required" in as many places as you can.
In my experience, you will get people that say your plugin doesn't work,
but usually you can just tell them that it requires PHP 5 and that they
can talk to their host to switch.  I've noticed that I haven't had a
single person recently (last 6 months) who was told by their host that
they didn't offer PHP 5.

As for when 3.0 will be here, there's no exact date set yet (that I know
of).  I'd estimate that it'll be here in about 6 - 8 months (2.9 isn't
that far from Beta then RC).  Maybe someone from Automattic could chime
in with more exact numbers, but that's what I've picked up in the
developer chats.