[wp-hackers] The WordPress Logo Font

Lynne Pope lynne.pope at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 02:28:36 UTC 2009

2009/10/3 Dion Hulse (dd32) <wordpress at dd32.id.au>:
> Whilst its against the license of the font, When its just to make a few
> alterations to a logo for your purposes and a substituted font doesn't look
> right, I figure, Someone has already payed for the font usage with this
> logo.. the logo should've come with the font included..

Yep, breach of copyright and licensing which clearly states, "you may
not modify, adapt, translate, reverse engineer, decompile,
disassemble, alter or otherwise copy the Emigre Font Software."

Why should the logo have come with the font included? The logo is for
branding WordPress, not every site that uses it. WordPress makes the
official logos available for people to use
(http://wordpress.org/about/logos/) and Matt made it a New Year's
resolution to get everyone using a real one, I don't think its either
fair or reasonable to dilute the WordPress branding by altering the
logo.

The logo is a registered trademark belonging to Automattic.
(http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?regser=serial&entry=78826938) -
does anyone know if logo modification is allowed?

A copyright licensing breach against one company and a potential
trademark infringement against another is not a good idea.

Lynne