[wp-hackers] [OT] Top posting

Jeremy Visser jeremy at visser.name
Thu Oct 1 13:37:33 UTC 2009

On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 10:19 AM, Sharon Chambers <sharon at brewerradio.com> wrote:
> At first blush, I think I just realized the answer :$ never realized it was bad form...and my Outlook client (I know, but I gotta use it at work) defaults to this behavior.  So I guess every time I've top-posted I've irritated someone, eh?  Apologies

I do believe that is the core reason why people top-post (which is the
root cause of both the apathetic reason for top-posting, as well as
simply being unaware that bottom-posting is proper etiquette or even
exists).

I cannot imagine anybody going to any great length to argue *for*
top-posting for pragmatic reasons. Nobody would argue that top-posting
looks tidier, etc. But similar to what Azhaguselvan said, a trimmed
top-post is far better than an untrimmed bottom-post.

Except when used for comedic effect. :)
http://www.cryptnet.net/mirrors/texts/kissedagirl.html

In screenshots I've seen of Google Wave, it looks like people can
comment and start IM-like conversations in the middle of paragraphs in
a document, and thus keep the conversation relevant to the part that
it is quoting. Very similar to proper bottom-posting. (Also reminds me
of the "Dasher" text-entry tool for people with low mobility.)