[wp-hackers] This was painful to read...

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Sat Nov 28 21:00:49 UTC 2009

On Nov 28, 2009, at 3:24 PM, Stephen Rider wrote:
> Here's the thing:  We don't need custom post type capabilities in the default Admin, but it would be wonderful to have to ability in the code so that *plugins* can easily add them and admin sections for them.  It would be cool, for example, to make edit pages modular and abstracted, so Plugins could readily make custom edit pages for Post Types by adding in edit sections -- almost like widgets.  For Post Type X I need the Text box, Parent, Categories, and nothing else.  Boom. Done.

That sounds like an extremely good plan.

What's more, I'd really like to see the artificial distinction between Posts and Pages minimized, i.e. Currently Posts can have tags and categories, but not Pages while Pages can be part of a menu but not Posts. etc.  It would be nice to have each of these features decoupled and allowed to be assigned in the admin.  The default configure would be to have Posts and Pages the way they are now but if I wanted to add tagging to Pages then it would be great if I could just add it.

-Mike Schinkel