[wp-hackers] Plugins and themes localization

Beau Lebens beau at dentedreality.com.au
Thu Nov 19 20:50:31 UTC 2009

>>> I'd suggest simply indicating if it is internationalized or not, and
>>> on downloading you'd see which translations are available at that
>>> particular moment.

<pie_in_the_sky_mode>

Another option would be that we could just detect if a plugin is
internationalized (check for a call to load_plugin_textdomain), and
allow the community to upload MO files "against" a plugin, and list
them there for download (perhaps with ratings).

We would also provide an option for any user to download a PO file,
generated against a specific version (as per the link that's available
to the author ATM), pre-filled with the Plurals value for the language
they select, since that's a nightmare otherwise it seems. They'd
translate (or ideally, use something like GlotPress, so this all
stayed online and was much less confusing), then save the MO and it
goes into the pool of available translations.

</pie_in_the_sky_mode>